I’m a really big fan of Erin over at Well Plated. If you haven’t checked out her site, go do it right now! Her recipes are healthy, delicious and mostly pretty easy. The following is a recipe I found on her website and amended to suit my preferences.
As I always say with my own recipes, if you like a recipe, feel free to play around with it to suit your own taste.
Healthy pumpkin bread is a delicious treat that you can enjoy instead of sugar loaded store bought bread. It’s really moist, has a fab flavor and you don’t need much of it to be full – which means no over eating!
- 2 Tablespoons melted and cooled coconut oil
- 3/4 Cup honey
- 1/3 Cup plain greek yoghurt
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanille extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups organic pumpkin puree (3/4 can)
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Teaspoons all-spice (or if you can’t find all-spice, mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/4 nutmeg)
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 Cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 Cup chia seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F / 165°C
- Grease a medium size bread baking pan
- Using a large bowl and a whisk, mix the coconut oil, honey, egg, vanilla extract and Greek yoghurt together.
- Next, whisk in the pumpkin puree
- Sprinkle in the all-spice and salt, and mix until even
- Sprinkle in the flour, bit by bit, and mix until smooth
- Stir in the chia seeds
- Fold into the bread pan and place in the oven for 30 minutes
- Lightly place foil on top to prevent burning, then place back in the oven to bake for a further 35 minutes, or until a cocktail stick and poke the bread and come out clean (Approx. 65 minutes total)
- Take the load out of the oven and allow cool for 5 minutes before removing from the baking pan
- Place on wire rack to cool before slicing
I like to enjoy a slice with a dollop of greek yoghurt and some berries! YUM!