I am a HUGE fan of lettuce wraps. They’re so diverse in what you can try with different flavors or ingredients. This recipe is influenced by asian cooking, and as such has a wonderful aroma and flavor to it.
I try to limit my carb intake to sweet potato, brown rice or gluten-free oats during the week, so this is a wonderful alternative which will still leave you feeling full. As always, try changing up some of the ingredients if you feel like different flavors.
Don’t get scared by the number of ingredients, most of them are oils, spices or things you have in your fridge/pantry all the time that are re-used in multiple dishes.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 big leaves of romain lettuce
- Fresh ginger, finely minced
- Fresh garlic, finely minced
- White onion, finely minced
- Fresh water chestnuts, drained & diced
- Sesame oil
- Kikkoman Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Rice vinegar (Do not use if making gluten-free!)
- Chinese 5 spice
- Cayenne pepper
- Red chili pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 green pepper
- 1/4 red or orange pepper
- 2 spring onions (scallions)
- 1/2 fresh lime
- Large tablespoon fresh chopped coriander (cilantro)
Phase 1: Baking the Chicken
- Preheat the over to 400°F/204°C
- Slice the chicken breasts into 2, so you have 4 pieces.
- Sprinkle on a little dash of salt and pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice (you can find it at most grocery stores). Wrap up in foil and bake for 25 minutes Until the chicken juice runs clear).
Phase 2: Getting your flavors ready
- While the chicken is baking, you can prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Finely mice the garlic, ginger, and onion, and red chile.
- Finely dice the red and green pepper, and chop the spring onions.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then dice into tiny pieces. It should almost look minced. Of course, if you prefer your chicken chunky – go for it! There are no strict rules here.
Phase 3: Cooking Instructions
- Pre-heat a wok or pan on medium heat.
- Combine the chopped chicken, soy sauce, rice vinegar, cayenne pepper and diced red chile in a mixing bowl. Mix in 1/2 tablespoon of Chinese 5 Spice.
- Add the garlic, ginger, onion and peppers to 2 tablespoons sesame oil to the wok or pan.
- After 30 seconds, add the chicken mix.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add the spring onions.
- Cook a further minute and add the chopped water chestnuts.
- Allow cook for one more minute then remove from heat.
- Spoon the mixture into the washed lettuce leave, then dress with chopped coriander (cilantro) and a squeeze of lime.